Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Miss Black Ohio Speaks: Growth Through Service

Hello Everyone!

I can't believe that it's already February 15th. I've been Miss Black Ohio for almost four months now, and I still haven't  "gotten used to it." I am still coming to terms with the idea of myself as a role model. I think that this idea of being someone that young women should be able to look up to is making me a better person. By making sure that I am doing things that I would encourage young women to emulate, I know that I am living the right life style through my daily life. I can't believe the great connections that I have made throughout this year! My favorite thing to see, is young women who contact me weeks and even months after I have met with them, asking for advice and showing interest in my activities.


Reaching out is often the hardest thing to do when someone needs help, but to know that these girls feel comfortable doing so really touches me in ways I never thought possible. I really believe that my experiences with the Miss Black USA organization and with my title as Miss Black Ohio are shaping me into the person that the Lord wants me to be. When I decided to compete in the Miss Black Ohio pageant I really had no expectations. I knew that I would give it my best and that my end goal was to get the chance to work with young women and make a difference in my community, but I didn't think I would win, and I had no idea it would be this amazing.

Not only has this experience given me the chance to speak and interact with young women, but I have been introduced to so many new organizations, new people, strong women and men and influential people in my state. A sash and a crown can be a very powerful thing if you let them.
I know that many people may not understand the idea behind pageants and holding a "title." But I'm here to tell you, being Miss Black Ohio has far more to do with my future than anything I will ever do on a stage. My work in this great state is what the pageant is all about. I don't know if you've heard, but this is a MOVEMENT!

When I take the time to sit back and reflect on what I have learned so far, what I see most is the importance of realizing that this is a blessing. A magnificent, amazing, beautiful, stupendous blessing. One that I know I could never deserve. I am so thankful for everything that has happened so far, I can't imagine it getting any better but I know there is so much more to do!

With love,

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment